Today, and in no particular order, I am going to let you in on the top 10 ways to quit smoking:
1. Drink a glass of water whenever you feel like taking a cigarette. Lots of water will aid your system in cleansing the toxins from your body, and the action itself, getting up to fetch some water, will help take your mind off smoking.
2. Get real with yourself, no matter which ways to quit smoking you are using, a part of you are going to feel like losing a trusted and loyal friend. Do yourself a favour and be real about it, you are getting rid of an enemy that was slowly doing you in, taking away some of your best years.
3. Remove everything from the house, that in any way reminds you of smoking, ashtrays, the last pack, including your secret stash, all lighters and whatever you can think of, if it's not gone, you are inevitably going to run across it, and it will get your thinking back towards smoking, which is a bad thing.
4. Realize that the best thing you can do for yourself, is just make the decision to quit smoking for a month, it is a lot easier to imagine as real instead of for good. When the month is over, you can decide to opt for another month if you feel like it :)
5. Tell all your friends and your family that you are quitting, and that you will need their support to get through it. On the hard days, seek that support to help you conquer the addiction.
6. Begin to exercise more, it will get a lot easier without smoking, and also it speeds up the cleansing of your body. Also while exercising your brain will be releasing endorphins, which is the body's own "feel good chemical"
7. Write up a list of reasons for you to quit smoking, at least 10, and read them to yourself twice a day for at least the last 10 days before quitting. Then do a little private ceremony with yourself where you either bury them, or burn them up. Don't underestimate the meaning of this to symbolic act on your subconscious mind.
8. Write up a list of all the benefits of quitting smoking that you can think of, again at least 10 of them. Then read them to yourself every morning and evening, from the day you quit, it can be very motivating, and it will help keep you on the right track.
9. Change your habits: If you are used to start of the day, by sitting in the same place, drinking the first cup of coffee, and smoking the days first cigarette. Start taking your coffee standing up, or in a different room, while reading something, or writing... Do things differently than you are used too.
10. In the first couple of months after quitting, stay away from other smokers, say thanks to any invites, but make it clear that if there are going to be smoked in the house, you would prefer not to visit. If they agree to smoke outside, or in a specific room, then by all means go and socialize, it is always a good thing to meet other people, just stay clear of the obvious dangers.
This is my top 10 ways to quit smoking list, if all used together they form a good base for helping you overcome the addiction.
If you would like more help choosing your quit smoking program, please visit my website.
When quitting you should remember that you are not only fighting the nicotine addiction, but even worse, you are fighting your subconscious mind, and the power of habits. Learn more at http://www.hypnosisblog.net
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Janno_Lassen
Thanks for visiting my blog. In case, this article was useful, please post your comments on the blog for my encouragement.